Before your engagement…
After you are engaged…
- Take engagement pictures.
- Send out engagement announcements; announce your wedding in the newspaper if you’d like.
- Have your engagement party.
12 months before your wedding day…
- Pick a date and time for your wedding.
- Buy a planner with a calendar, to-do list, and place to put all your ideas, coupons, etc.
- Begin to discuss your wedding budget with your fiance and family. Look at the average costs of some wedding vendors to get an idea of your budget.
- Research local wedding vendors and write down their contact information.
- Start looking for sales and deals for wedding dresses & other wedding-related items.
- Make sure you don’t start off on the wrong foot by making these common wedding planning mistakes.
11 months before your wedding day…
- Start interviewing wedding planners if you are going to hire one.
- Begin a guest list draft.
- Enlist your groom to help. If he’s not interested, read these tips for getting the groom involved.
- Pick out your wedding colors.
- Begin looking at ceremony & reception sites.
10 months before your wedding day…
- Finalize your wedding budget with your groom and your families. Need tips for saving money? Read about money-smart wedding planning.
- Decide on your wedding party. Need help deciding who should be included?
- Sit down with your family to work on the guestlist.
- Choose a wedding planner.
- Decide on a wedding theme if you are going to have one. (Ideas: Romance, Going Green, Winter Wonderland)
- Meet with different wedding vendors to discuss pricing options, etc. Read about little known ways to receive wedding discounts!
9 months before your wedding day…
- Decide on your ceremony & reception sites and reserve them for your wedding day.
- Decide on a wedding officiant, a florist, and caterer.
- Decide on a DJ or musician. Read about how to choose a DJ that is right for you!
- Create a wedding website so your guests can find all the information they need in one place.
- Decide on what style wedding dress you want to wear. Not sure? Read about wedding dress styles or take the quiz: Which style wedding dress flatters your figure?
8 months before your wedding day…
- Plan your honeymoon and have your groom reserve the hotel rooms, etc. Having trouble deciding where to go? Take the quiz: Where should I go on my honeymoon?
- Finalize your guestlist
- Go with your bridesmaids to look at their dresses and get ideas
- Meet with wedding cake designers and go to tastings
- Decide on and hire a photographer. Read about what to look for in a photographer!
- Decide on and hire a videographer. Read about why you should hire a videographer!
- Rent any equipment like chairs and tables that you may need
7 months before your wedding day…
- Order save-the-date cards or magnets
- Get all your guests’ addresses
- Order bridesmaids dresses & accessories
- Decide on a baker and order your wedding cake. Need help deciding what kind? Take our quiz: What type of wedding cake fits your personality?
- Think about what your groom and groomsmen will wear. Suits or Tuxes?
- Shop around for invitations and work on the invitation wording
6 months before your wedding day…
- Make a final selection for a wedding dress
- Choose your veil and accessories to match your dress
- Decide what your parents will wear
- Finalize your honeymoon details
- Request off work if you need to
- Send out save the date cards
- Purchase or rent groom’s and groomsmen’s suits or tuxes
- Finalize the menu with the caterer
- Register! All your wedding registry questions are answered here.
5 months before your wedding day…
- Order or make your wedding favors. Here are some unique ideas.
- Reserve hotel rooms and make accomodations for out-of-town guests
- Start thinking about your make-up and hair
- Order your wedding invitations
- Create a wedding day timeline
- Make your wedding night plans & reservations
- Begin thinking about the rehearsal dinner
4 months before your wedding day…
- Plan your rehearsal dinner; decide on a location, menu, etc.
- Reserve a car, limo, or your desired wedding transportation
- Think about your wedding music (first dance song, father/daughter dance song, etc.)
- Book a hair dresser and make-up artist
- Help your maid of honor make a bridal shower guestlist
- Shop for your wedding bands
3 months before your wedding day…
- Have your wedding shower
- Make sure your dress is tailored
- Finalize your wedding music
- Address the envelopes for your invitations
- Buy your wedding rings
- Have the maid of honor and best man make sure the wedding party has purchased their outfits and accessories
- Designate people to give toasts at the reception
- Make sure you have started an exercise routine and diet if you need to lose a few inches before getting into your dress! Here are some tips to tighten your tummy before your wedding day.
2 months before your wedding day…
- Buy your wedding party their gifts. Check out some cool wedding party gift ideas.
- Write your wedding vows if you so desire. Read about the secret to writing great vows!
- Send your wedding invitation 6-8 weeks before the wedding
- Start making a final guestlist as you begin to hear back from guests
- Fill out any documents needed to change your name
- If you are going to have your rings engraved, do so
- Fill out any documents needed to change your insurance information after married
- Create and print wedding programs
- Buy lingerie or undergarments before final dress fitting
- Send thank you notes for gifts received at your shower
1 month before your wedding day…
- Work on your seating chart
- Make or buy placeholder cards
- Get anything you need before your honeymoon (passport, shots, etc.)
- Do a final fitting for your dress; begin a diet and exercise routine if necessary
- Confirm all the details (arrival time, cost, etc.) with your wedding vendors
- Get a marriage license
- Send rehearsal dinner invitations
- Order alcohol
- Buy a guestbook
2 weeks before your wedding day…
- Take care of all the details like what you will use to cut the cake, toasting glasses, etc.
- Prepare welcome baskets for out-of-town guests
- Purchase thank you notes
- Finalize the menu, etc. for the rehearsal dinner.
- Finalize your seating chart.
- Give final headcount to caterer, etc.
- Do a hair and make-up trial run.
- Plan the activities for the night before your wedding.
- Help your wedding party plan the bachelor and bachelorette parties if they need it.
1 week before your wedding day…
- Get checks ready to give your wedding vendors.
- Make sure you have something old, something new, something borrowed, and (most importantly to us) something blue.
- Make sure you have a garter.
- Get a manicure, pedicure, hair cut, eye-brow wax, etc.
- Pick up your wedding dress and the bridesmaids dresses
- Confirm all the details with your florist.
- Give the members of your wedding party their tasks for your special day.
- Pack for your honeymoon!
The day before your wedding day…
- Go to the spa to get a massage!
- Hold the rehearsal dinner.
- Give your wedding party and parents their gifts.
- Attend the bachelor or bacheloretter party.
After your wedding day…
- Have someone take your wedding dress and keepsakes if you are going straight on your honeymoon.
- Keep the top layer of your cake for your 1st wedding anniversary.
- Go on your honeymoon.
- 6-8 weeks after: send thank you cards. Not feeling motivated? Read the lazy bride’s guide to sending thank you cards.p
- Start your life with the one you love!